“Sanctification is a community project.” ~John Piper
One of the ways we encourage depth of relationships at Providence Church is through the connectivity of various small groups, which we call SIGs (special interest groups). These affinity groups meet with some measure of regularity for various reasons, but ultimately in conjunction with our mission to glorify God by making disciples who love God and others.
Some SIGs are open to all, while some are closed except to those who meet certain criteria. Some may be “members only,” while some may be open to any who may be interested, perhaps even evangelistic in nature. Some may meet indefinitely, while others may be only for a set period of time. Some may meet at the church building, while others may meet offsite.
We want our members to prioritize our regular Lord’s Day activities, but encourage them also to prayerfully consider participating in one or more of our SIGs in accordance with their schedules, interests, and phase of life. Our SIGs are voluntary and extracurricular, but an effective means of growing together in Christlikeness.
Some of our current* SIGs:
- Book Club – Meets monthly to discuss an assigned book. A list of books (past & future) can be found HERE.
- Collinwood Visitation – A service oriented group that meets Thursdays at 3:15PM at the Collinwood nursing home to conduct a brief service of song, Bible study, and visitation with the residents.
- Firearms Fellowship – A time of fellowship for men and their guests over a common interest in shooting sports which fosters camaraderie and has been a means of outreach. The group meets monthly, typically on a Friday. They often meet beforehand for coffee and afterward for lunch.
- Jubilees – To qualify a person or his/her spouse must be 50+ years of age. The group meets monthly, typically the 2nd Saturday of the month, to foster fellowship and mutual edification.
- Ladies Breakfast – Meets the 4th Saturday of the month at the Original Pancake House in Plano.
- Providence Church FBL (Fantasy Baseball) – For those with a hearty interest in baseball. This league has open enrollment each season. Participation is limited to church members.
- ProvFL (Fantasy Football) – A “keeper” league which may or may not have openings each season. Participation is limited to church members.
- Sew Inclined – A multigenerational ladies gathering for fellowship, instruction, and mentoring, among other things, whereby sewing skills are passed down and put to good use for Christian ministry both inside and outside the church. The group meets the 2nd & 4th Saturdays from 1-3PM at the church building.
- Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting – Meets Wednesday nights at the church building at 6:30PM to study a Psalm and bear in prayer the burdens of the church, nation, planet, and each other.
If you don’t see a group that you’d like to be a part of and are interested in getting it started, contact one of the elders about beginning the formation process.
For more information about our SIGs, contact the pastor who can direct you to the person coordinating the SIG in question.
*As new groups may begin or complete their purpose, this list may be updated to reflect those changes.